Happy New Year!! Yes, I’m a few weeks behind, but being out on maternity leave, the days blend together and it feels like one long perpetual weekend, complete with endless hours of HGTV and optional showers. If I weren’t keeping close track of my daughter’s day-to-day age to somehow predict when she will finally start sleeping through the night, I’d have no idea what day it is. But on to those goals!
So yeah, 2012 was a pretty crazy year! I found out I was pregnant on February 26….6 days later, I was attacked by morning sickness that lasted for 4 months (take THAT Kate Middleton!), two months later, my ginormous son caused me to strain my umbilical hernia so no more lifting or exercising for me (as if I really WANTED to do either!), along comes July and cue the pregnancy pains – I could barely walk, beautiful Mary Louise was here November 1, and then the holiday blur, and the next thing I know, my house smells like pork and sauerkraut and I’m vacuuming pine needles from the living room floor (it’s a tradition ’round these parts to make pork and sauerkraut on New Years Day for good luck in case you didn’t get that reference). It almost feels like all that stuff happened over 3 years, not 1 year. Nevertheless, again, feeling very blessed and thankful for a healthy family, hubby and I still have our day jobs, kids are growing great, all is well! The business got a little neglected…but can you cut a pregnant woman a break? I sure did!
Last year, I made 5 goals for 2012. Here they are with the results:
1. Rethink my online presence and increase traffic to my blog. I did this! Hooray! I got rid of my flash-based website and drove all traffic to my blog and moved my URL over to WordPress. I’m also using Facebook a lot more, too, and sharing previews there instead of on my blog. My blog has been doing awesome – 4200 views in 2012. It’s search engine friendly and I’ve been receiving many more inquiries, so that proves people are finding it. I didn’t quite make my goal of 50 views per day, but I did increase to 11 views per day on average…considering I didn’t post more than 15 blogs, that ain’t bad.
2. Photograph 15 new sessions (not counting weddings or commercial photography) Blame it on the baby! I only did 9 new sessions in 2012. And 3 of them were of me and my kids! I think that’s cheating!!:) If we go quality over quantity, I think some of my best work was done in 2012, so yay for that!
3. Maximize my gear Eh…I’d like to say I did…certainly doing better work, but not maximizing my light kit. Not a complete fail, but I had bigger intentions when i made this goal.
4. Take my family portrait Originally I wanted to take portraits of ALL my family…and I only did me, the hubby, and the kids. Again, not a complete fail, but not complete either.
5. Take 12 “just for me” photographs Thumbs DOWN. Way down. Did not do this at all. I’m sure I could go through my cell phone and find 12 pics I snapped anytime I saw something that inspired me, but again, not what I had in mind when I made this goal.
Overall, pretty poor showing! But, that is more motivation for me to hit my goals out of the park in 2013! In no particular order, here they be!
1. Give back. I’ve been so fortunate over the years and been given so many opportunities, I want to pay it forward somehow. I’d like to volunteer my time and services to a charitable organization and/or event…know of any?:)
2. Run a Facebook promotion to bring in new clients. I got something in the works for seniors! High school ones, not blue-haired ones.:) And did you know it’s the 30th anniversary of A Christmas Story…and I just happen to have something that could make your Christmas cards super-special and hilarious….
3. Review and update the business side of this business to make sure I’m up to date with all the business-y stuff. I have an offline checklist that I’ll keep to myself. It’s boring anyway.
4. Let’s try for those 15 new sessions! And this time, I won’t include my own family in the total count. Although, I will take portraits of my children often…not just “snaps”.
5. At least two blogs per month…at least 4 Facebook posts a month…with the intention of increasing my daily audience and engagement. Maybe I can get to 200 likes??
So there it is! Looks like I got a lot of work to do!:) Good thing I am having a really great time with this business! I love my clients and can’t wait to meet more!
Happy New Year to you and best wishes in 2013!